Before I read the book, I thought it was going to boring considering we're learning about the history of the American education system.  What I found interesting was a particular thing I have never payed attention to before. I never realized religion had such a big part to play in the Education system. One thing that I did pay attention to that I knew before was the fact that the amount of education you received was based on race, social class, and religion, which is still slightly true in today's society, and the thought of that honestly makes me cringe

The first part of the book pointed out plenty of situations that I found interesting and covered all angles such as the start of the american schooling system in detail, as well as the people who took the time to inspect the schools. What I found amazing was the anti-Catholic bias. This situation left thousands of children without an education and that is just hard to imagine in today's society. It is interesting to learn how big religion was and how it just evolved into us having public schools now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literacy History